There is an Advent tradition within Western Christianity of inviting people to come together for the Longest Night, a night around the time of the Winter Solstice, when there are more hours of darkness than light. It’s a time to come together for prayers and tears and grief, to weep bitterly for the losses and hurts and deaths of the year and for the general crap in our own lives, as well as for our country and our world.
This Longest Night liturgy was written in 2020 in collaboration with A Sanctified Art, and calls out the losses we've faced from the pandemic, the lives and relationships lost, as well as the racism and injustices in our world. It suggests music from The Many as well as other hymns that could be used.
The Longest Night 2020 resources for purchase:
1. The Longest Night Full Liturgy: a pdf download of the entire liturgy script and notes about the liturgy
2. Music from the Liturgy: Includes mp3s of the following songs:
- Longest Nights
- Remember When
- Comfort Comfort
- Those Who Dream
- Waiting For You
3. Sheet Music from the Liturgy: Includes
- "Forsaken" Lead Sheet
- "Longest Nights" Lead Sheet
- "Remember When" Lead Sheet
- "Comfort Comfort" Lyric/Chord Chart
- "Those Who Dream" Lead Sheet
- "Waiting for You" Lead Sheet
We offer a sliding scale for pricing, hoping that this will allow churches to be able to afford what they need. If you are not a part of a church, or this doesn't fit your budget, feel free to choose the price that works best for you.
*This is a digital download. The download is available immediately after purchase.