There is an Advent tradition within Western Christianity of inviting people to come together for the Longest Night, a night around the time of the Winter Solstice, when there are more hours of darkness than light. It’s a time to come together for prayers and tears and grief, to weep bitterly for the losses and hurts and deaths of the year and for the general crap in our own lives, as well as for our country and our world.
Known also as “Blue Christmas” a longest night gathering is also a time to come together to share anguish. And to plead with God to remember us, even to hope against hope, pray, with hearts broken that “God will set things right all over the earth.” (1 Samuel 1:10).
This Longest Night liturgy was written in 2017, but can work equally well whatever year you use it.
The Longest Night resources for purchase:
1. The Longest Night Full Liturgy: a pdf download of the entire liturgy script and notes about the liturgy
2. Music from the Liturgy: Includes mp3s of the following songs:
- Longest Nights
- Room For Us All
- Remember Mercy
- Waiting For You
3. Sheet Music from the Liturgy: Includes
- "Forsaken" Lead sheet with Vocals (key of D)
- "Longest Nights" Lead Sheet
- "Remember Mercy" Lead Sheet with Vocals (Key of D)
- "Room For Us All" Lead Sheet with Vocals (Key of A)
- "Waiting for You" Lead Sheet with Vocals (Key of E)
We offer a sliding scale for pricing, hoping that this will allow churches to be able to afford what they need. If you are not a part of a church, or this doesn't fit your budget, feel free to choose the price that works best for you.
*This is a digital download. The download is available immediately after purchase.